Bad Backs Store
Just browsing? Click the product title links for detailed product information.
Ready to BUY NOW? Click BUY NOW! to go straight to the Shopping Cart checkout with your item. To easily purchase multiple items, click Add to Bag for each product then click the Shopping Cart (top of screen). You can update items any time.
The History of balans®
- 1976 - When people improvise and observe a need, this can be the start of a new product development. How to be functional, combined with comfort at low tables in traditional furniture, was the start of what we today call balans® furniture. The balans® furniture is based on the idea of giving support and comfort to the natural and basic sitting position.
- 1978 Initiator Hans Christian Mengshoel invited the three furniture designers Oddvin Rykken, Peter Opsvik and Svein Gusrud to design and develop products based on the balans®concept.
- 1979 - Balans presents "balans alternative sitting" in Copenhagen at the "Scandinavian Furniture Fair".
- 1980 - Different balans® chairs were implemented in the collection of four producers in Norway.
- 1984 - The company Balans AS receives the SAS Export Pioneer Prize.
- 1986 - The "balansgroup" represented by O. Rykken, P.Opsvik, S. Gusrud and H.C. Mengshoel receives the Jacob List Prize.
- 1996 - Balans Management AS was established in 1996 to develop a new generation of balans® chairs to benefits the license producers of balans®. Patents balans® chairs are registered with several utility patents and design patents.
- 2010 - Balans Management AS partner again with Hans Christian Mengshoel to redesign the original balans kneeling chair concept, focusing on a new "balanced" seat design.