Bad Backs Store
Just browsing? Click the product title links for detailed product information.
Ready to BUY NOW? Click BUY NOW! to go straight to the Shopping Cart checkout with your item. To easily purchase multiple items, click Add to Bag for each product then click the Shopping Cart (top of screen). You can update items any time.
Varier Variable™ balans® Kneeling Chair
Other products that may help
Shopping with Confidence!
We appreciate that you want to shop with confidence online. And so Bad Backs wishes to confirm the importance we place on your privacy, security, our returns policy and customer service support.
Should you choose to shop in-store, visit one of our stores in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth. Click here for our store locations.
In 1932 Georg Stokke started manufacturing furniture on the Norwegian west coast, near the famous Geiranger fjord. He was truly innovative, and was amongst the first to employ professional Scandinavian designers.
Since then, products have come and gone, and much has happened. However, the simple idea remains the same: If humans can move in a natural way, even when sitting, the body will feel better and possibly also last longer. This is why movement and variation remain the most important thing in everything we produce. When you buy a Varier product, you choose one of the healthiest chairs available. Or – as Varier likes to call it – intelligent sitting.
Movement and variation promote and renew strength. Energy, ideas and well-being are released through variation and movement. Variér® has built its unique sitting concept on this principle. The chairs give freedom for natural movements and variation so you can concentrate on the activity in hand, be it reading, listening, eating or simply relaxing.
Form – Variér® is known for developing chairs with a distinctive style, and for using materials which destine them to become future classics. A unique combination of aesthetics, comfort and technology ensures that the chairs are both amazing to look at and amazing to sit in. Variér® has a long tradition in working with acclaimed designers. They have worked together with some of Scandinavia’s most important furniture designers. Variér® chair designs stand out internationally and many have been awarded ”the stamp of good design” by the Norwegian Design Council.
Function – Variér® is known for developing chairs which inspire you to move naturally. Natural and variable ways of sitting enhances wellbeing of body and soul. They are often asked ”what is the best position to sit in?” The answer is: “The next position is always the best “.
The classic balans® that caused a sitting revolution.
In 1979 a company called Stokke launched a sitting revolution that spread throughout Europe and the USA, with the groundbreaking Variable™ Balans®. The chair reflected the playful spirit of the 1970’s with a simple, dynamic, and ergonomic design. The chair is still very popular today.
The Variable™ Balans was the first chair to be produced based on the balans® concept developed by Peter Opsvik and H Chr. Mengshol. The chair lives up to its name.
Watch the Varier Variable Balans in action:
25 years ago Variable™ balans® introduced movement as a criteria for well-being whilst seated. As the name "Variable" indicates, it is of primary importance for sitting comfort that the chair provides movement and variation – the kneeling posture being one of many.
Variable™ balans® incorporates both a modern and timeless design. This unique sit in beige or brown fabric with moccating concept allows an open angle between your thigh and the upper part of your body, so it is easier to retain the natural curvature of the lumbar region. Active sitting allows a free flow of energy so you can pay full attention to your work or studies. The chair is especially good when you have activities on the table in front of you, offering more comfort than traditional chair.
Variable™ balans® encourages natural and active sitting positions whilst the runners allow gentle rocking. The balans® concept makes it possible to work at a table without bending or straightening out the natural curve in the spine, because the upper part of the body remains in a natural position of balance.
- Cushion: Polyurethane foam
- STEP fabric in black, blue or red with natural beech frame
- Available in numerous other colours in Fame wool fabric, Dinamica microfiber and Elegance semi-analine leather - call us for details and delivery times
- Simple assembly is required
- 7 year limited warranty - see below for more details
- Size is 52cm wide x 52cm high (at highest point of seat) x 72cm deep
- Back option available on Fame fabric ONLY.
Custom Orders for Different Fabrics, Colours & Wood Stains
Varier can supply the Variable balans in a range of fabrics and colours, including:
- STEP Fabric - 100% polyester fabric, Trevira CS brand of polyester, flame retardant, abrasion resistant, light fastness 4-5, rub resistant 4-5 (dry or wet), Oeko-Tex 100 certified. Washable at up to 74°C.
- Fame Wool Fabric - numerous colours 95% wool, 5% polyamid, flame retardant, abrasion resistant (200,000 Martindale), light fastness 5-7, rub resistant 4-5 (dry) 3 (wet), pilling of 3-4. Dry clean or spot clean with mild detergent only
- Dinamica Classic Microfiber - numerous colour 88% polyester, 12% polyurethane, flame retardant, abrasion resistant (50,000 Martindale), light fastness 5, rub resistant 4-5 (dry or wet), pilling of 5. Spot clean with mild detergent only
- Elegance Semi-Analine Leather - numerous colours 100% semi-analine leather, flame retardant, tear strength 20N, thickness 1.3-1.5mm, light fastness 5, rub resistant 4 (dry or wet). Careful cleaning is required as semi-aline leather has open pores and a natural grain. It is not protected with dye or lacquer. Use a water based maintenance program.
- Wood options are:
- Beech Natural lacquered
- Beech Black stained
- Beech Mocca stained
Please contact you local Bad Backs store or call our toll free number at 1800-615-666 to discuss your specific needs and requirements. We are able to air ship product in if urgent or we can sea freight with expected delivery times of approx 3 months from ordering.
Prices for this product will vary depending on the material and wood options chosen. Call us at 1800-615-666 for a detailed quotation.
We use wood from farmed sources harvested using principles of sustainability. All the beech and oak we use comes from Europe. The walnut comes from North America.
Varier Respect for the environment:
Using environmentally friendly materials and methods is a major priority for Variér®. We also attach importance to ensuring that the production methods are environmentally friendly.
7 years/5 years.
Variér® offers an extended 7 year guarantee on all wooden parts and 5 years on mechanical parts. Variér’s guarantee only covers manufacturing defects and does not include misuse, normal wear and tear and defects caused by exposure to sunlight. The guarantee will not apply if the customer fails to tighten screws as recommended and this results in damage to the piece of furniture.
This product is non returnable unless deemed faulty or damaged.