Bad Backs Store
Just browsing? Click the product title links for detailed product information.
Ready to BUY NOW? Click BUY NOW! to go straight to the Shopping Cart checkout with your item. To easily purchase multiple items, click Add to Bag for each product then click the Shopping Cart (top of screen). You can update items any time.
Officino Active Sitting Ball Chair
Other products that may help
The Officino Ball Chair was designed by a Perth based ergonomics company, and was modelled on the original 'Sit Around Ball Chair' design of June Ekman and Larry Wilson from the USA.
June Ekman, a former dancer and choreographer is a certified practitioner of the Alexander Technique. She has been a Master Teacher in New York City for over 25 years. Working with her students at Sarah Lawrence College, professional dancers, actors and singers and many clients whose occupations dictate they sit for extended periods of time, Ms. Ekman became convinced that many chronic problems were aggravated by inadequate chairs. She also noticed that when these clients sat on the large vinyl ball she used in her body alignment work, much of the stress placed on the back was alleviated.
"I have tried “Officino Ball Chair” at work for 4 weeks. Without doubt, the end result was an ergonomic sitting position that lead to better posture, improved core stability, circulation, and productivity.
Initially the “Officino Ball Chair” felt a little odd to sit in due to the dynamic nature of the seating position. Effectively, I realised that I subtly used my abdominal muscles and legs to reach a balanced position within the chair.
The chair's ergonomic design assists your body to be seated at an open angle thus promoting healthy body posture, improving circulation and reducing pressure on the base of your spine and the backs of your legs.
In my opinion, this open seated position is much healthier than the normal closed 90° angle or less that you typically experience in a conventional office chair. The “Officino Ball Chair” encourages you to be actively in control of your seating position and without you being aware places your body into a natural healthy sitting posture.
The chair's design ensures that your spine's natural curvature is maintained and so minimises pressure on the discs in your lower spine. You will probably feel more alert and active when you use an “Officino Ball Chair” on a regular basis. Consistent use of “Officino Ball Chair” may enable you to also notice an improvement with any problems you may have with lower back, neck and shoulder pain". PS Occupational Therapist, Perth Australia
Shopping with Confidence!
We appreciate that you want to shop with confidence online. And so Bad Backs wishes to confirm the importance we place on your privacy, security, our returns policy and customer service support.
Should you choose to shop in-store, visit one of our stores in Melbourne, Sydney or Perth. Click here for our store locations.
Active Sitting is defined as the concept of using an actively moving sitting surface, such as a Ball Chair, Sitting Disc, Swopper or Muvman in place of a conventional chair.
These chairs result in an ergonomic sitting position that can lead to better posture, core stability, circulation, and productivity.
The human body was not designed to sit still at all !! ......it was designed for movement and variation, so any seating configuration that allows the body to change positions during a work day is a great idea and really helpful for posture and back pain relief.
This is a custom order so please allow additional 2 weeks for delivery.
The ball chair has several features that make it easy to use while providing stability and ease of movement:
- Height adjustment: The black ring under the seat offers easy height adjustment from approx 590mm to 710 mm when measured from the floor to the top of the ball. Note that the amount of air pumped into the ball will affect this height measurement.
- The ball can be hardened or softened with the pump which is included
- Swivel Capacity: The chair has the capacity to swivel in a 360 degree circle while you are seated.
- The ball chair stores easily under a desk.
- Dark grey Italian made ball with a black star base and casters
- 3 year limited warranty
- Maximum 100kgs weight allowance
- Optional extra colour cover available in 7 colours...specifiy when ordering
- Blue Spot
- Green Spot
Helps Reduce Body Stress By:
- Releasing spinal pressure
- Strengthening muscles
- Encouraging spinal alignment
- Increasing circulation and energy
Watch the Officino Ball Chair in Action
A Great Solution to a Persistent Problem
The ball chair supports the weight of the pelvis and facilitates the proper use of the sit bones, encouraging an easeful distribution of weight. The inflated vinyl ball seat sends a continual subtle message to "move up" which keeps the spine from slumping in a C curve.
The ball responds individually to the weight and body movement of each user. Tension is released throughout the shoulders and back. This is an ideal chair for people whose work involves long periods of sitting as well as for those who have injured their backs.
Benefits The Sitter
- Uses the principle of active sitting. Sitting on a moveable surface requires the active use of the legs and torso.
- Keeps the spine uncompressed.
- Encourages one to sit up without tensing every muscle in the body.
- Helps prevent back injuries prevalent in the increasingly stationary work force. It is in fact a muscle-toning device.
- Overcomes some of the circulation and muscle fatigue associated with sedentary work. **
- Helps keep the mind alert.**
- Eliminates a back rest, balancing the muscular work between the front and back of the spine, thus promoting torso strength. **
**”The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body and Design”, Galen Cranz W.W. Norton, 1998